Initially, I was only planning on making the cornfritters tonight (see previous post) but I realized that I needed to add some protein to the menu. And this recipe, also from Vegan Holiday Kitchen, seemed like the perfect addition to the menu. 🙂 Lots of shopping to do tonight. But this supermarket visit is sure worth the trip. 🙂 #NowImStarving
Makes two cups.
What you’ll need:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or other healthy vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup baby spinach, arugula, or watercress leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill (preferred), or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella-style nondairy cheese, optional
- Paprika for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 375º F.
2. Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and garlic and sauté over medium-low heat until the onion is golden and just beginning to brown.
3. Transfer the onion mixture to a food processor, along with the beans and cream cheese. Process until smooth.
4. Add the artichoke hearts, spinach, dill, thyme, salt, and pepper. Pulse on and off until the artichokes and spinach are finely and evenly chopped but not pureed. Transfer the mixture to a small ovenproof container. Top with the optional nondairy cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the top is golden.
5. Sprinkle the top with paprika. Serve hot or warm with a small spreading knife or a spoon.
Make sure to have gluten-free accompaniments on hand!!!
Serve with bread (such as an array of crisp breads, flat breads,and toasted baguette slices), baby carrots, spoon-size chunks of red bell pepper, and Belgian endive leaves.