While I am not a vegan, this recipe looks to amazing not to try. It’s from Nava Atlas‘ book Vegan Holiday Kitchen and it’s just one of three recipes from her book on my must make list. I think this one will be on the menu for tonight.🙂
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lime, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CORN FRITTERS
- 5 medium ears fresh, uncooked corn
- 1/2 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small fresh hot chili pepper, seeded and minced, optional
- Oil for frying
1. Place the salsa, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a food processor. Pulse on and off until the cilantro leaves are finely minced. Transfer the sauce to a small serving bowl.
2. Break each ear of corn in half; stand it on the flat end, and scrape the kernels off with a sharp knife. Combine the corn kernels with the remaining ingredients, except the oil, in a food processor. Pulse on and off until the corn is finely minced but not pureed.
3. Heat enough oil to coat a large skillet or griddle. When really hot, ladle the batter onto the skillet to form 21/2- to 3-inch rounds (this will be somewhat less than 1/4 cup each). Cook over medium heat until golden brown on each side. Transfer each batch to a paper towel–lined plate. Repeat until all the batter is used up.
4. To serve, place the sauce in the center of a platter and surround with the fritters. Place a small spoon in the sauce so that everyone can spread a bit on the fritters.